2020 National Conference Highlights!
We were so excited to celebrate our 25th Annual National Conference in sunny Orlando, Florida, March 2-4. We had the highest number of registrants in the history of PBMI events – more than 470! Our jammed-packed agenda included a wide variety of industry thought leaders discussing many topics covering the pharmacy management continuum. We were also honored to have international attendees join us from South Africa, Canada, India, and Puerto Rico.
Check out our photo gallery.
Barry Meier, author, Pulitzer-winning former reporter for The New York Times, and two-time winner of the prestigious George Polk Award for investigative reporting was our keynote speaker. Mr. Meier’s presentation addressed one of healthcare’s most important topics: America’s opioid crisis.
Below are highlights from our main stage presenters:
- George Hill, Deutsche Bank Securities, addressed the evolving pharmacy services landscape and market share consolidation. He also highlighted care delivery services asking could this be the way of the future for pharmacy. He also addressed how gene and cell therapies are the next treatment and cost frontiers of the future. Top concerns of investors include healthcare reform, Amazon, and drug price reform.
- Steven Pearson, MD, ICER, talked about the growing influence of value-based price benchmarking in the U.S., new tools to inform pricing and coverage decisions, and also provided us with a preview of the year ahead.
- Doug Long, IQVIA, provided us with a market overview. Doug also shared how payers are making investments in digital health solutions. Telehealth services are expected to grow to 7.5% by 2022. The strong forces driving healthcare change are demographics and technology, but we’ll need to think more broadly now.
- David Calabrese, OptumRx, discussed innovative consumer/client strategies to address affordability barriers, precision medicine impact on patients, and new advancements in pharmacotherapy and notable treatments in the pipeline.
- Oncology Panel presented four perspectives. We heard from a leukemia patient and how he navigates the healthcare system. The Leukemia and Lymphoma Society shared how they support these patients and their families. A PBM and a specialty pharmacy weighed in on the challenges, support, and treatment. Each perspective stressed the need for all healthcare stakeholders to work together to improve access to care and support patients.
- Dr. Steve Miller, Cigna, homed in on three critical points for the future of healthcare. It needs to be affordable, predictable, and simple. Dr. Miller also delved into improving pharmacy economics, enabling self-service through technology, and addressing behavioral health.
The meeting was a success! Below is some attendee feedback.
“We had a great time and enjoyed the great information presented at your conference. On behalf of our entire organization, thank you to everyone at PBMI!”
“…It was quite an honor for our health plan to have been selected as one of the winners of this year’s award! Thanks again, and great conference!!”
“Thank you so much, greatly appreciated. We cannot say enough about you and your team. You kept everything organized and professional throughout the meeting; it was a great experience for us! We look forward to working with you in the future.”
And finally, we have to highlight all our sponsors and exhibitors who helped to make this meeting a huge success. Thank You!”
Looking forward to Next year
Next year, we will be at Hyatt San Antonio Hill Country resort, March 8-10. Be sure to mark your calendars and save these dates!